This is a gem of a race with steep climbs, rough moor and fast paths, typifying all that’s best about South Pennine fell running. Starting close to Todmorden town centre, this race will take you to the parts of Tod that other races don’t reach. Junior races will be run for the first time in 2017 based in the woods at Centre Vale Park – expect steep climbs, fast but runnable descents and (probably) lots of mud!
- Organiser: Darren Tweed. Email: email@example.com
- Date: 18th February 2017
- Start time: Juniors from 10.30am; Seniors 11.30am
- Race Category: AM under FRA rules. 660m (2,165ft) of climbing over a distance of 13.3km (8.3 miles)
- Entry: £1 for Juniors; Seniors £5 on the day. Race proceeds are to go to Calder Valley Mountain rescue
- Minimum Age: 18
- Prize-giving: 2.30pm (or earlier if all runners are back)
- Food: Hot food will be served in the Cricket Club from noon onwards: meat stew, veg chilli and curried butternut squash soup (all served with crusty bread). Also hot and cold drinks and homemade cakes. All funds from food/drink going to ‘Friends of Ferney Lee’ primary school
- Safety and Kit requirements: Please note participation in this race will require full FRA mandatory kit requirements – namely waterproof whole body cover (taped seams and attached hood), hat, gloves, map, compass, whistle and emergency food. The race covers areas of open, exposed moorland in mid-winter. Kit checks will be made, no kit no run! Thank you
- Course records to be set: The 2017 course will in effect be the new permanent route for Flower Scar and therefore new course records are there to be set! The route returns to the old start/finish route from Centre Vale Park up through the woods along the Calderdale Way (inaccessible in 2016 so alternative access to the moor was arranged) and then follow the extended 2016 route once up on the moor
Junior Races to start from 10.30am. U9/U11/U13/U15/U17 (Junior age categories are based on age on 31st December 2017). £1.00 entry on the day – goody bag for all entrants.
Seniors Course Map
Juniors Course Map
(see map below) Race HQ is Todmorden Cricket Club, Burnley Road, Todmorden OL14 7BS – next to Centre Vale Park. The Cricket Club Pavilion has a bar and a function room, though has limited changing facilities and toilets. The venue is within easy walking distance from the bus and train stations and all town centre amenities.
Parking is available at Todmorden Cricket Club, in the Council run car park opposite the Hare and Hounds pub, or the upper car park of Todmorden Sports Centre. Please car share wherever possible. There is no charge for parking at any of these locations.