This is a gem of a race with steep climbs, rough moor and fast paths, typifying all that’s best about South Pennine fell running. Starting close to Todmorden town centre, this race will take you to the parts of Tod that other races don’t reach. Junior races will be run again in 2018 based in the woods at Centre Vale Park. The routes have been shortened and simplified a little over the 2017 routes (further details below) but you should still expect steep climbs, fast but runnable descents and (probably) lots of mud.
- Organiser: Darren Tweed. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date: Saturday 17th February 2018
- Start time: Juniors from 10.30am; Seniors 11.30am
- Race Category: AM under FRA rules. 660m (2,165ft) of climbing over a distance of 13.3km (8.3 miles). Please note that a cut-off time will be applied of 2 hours at CP6 (see route map below). This is to avoid race Marshalls beyond this point standing for long periods in winter conditions. Runners reaching CP6 more than 2 hours after race start will be asked to return to Race HQ along Burnley Road.
- Entry: £1 for Juniors; Seniors £5 on the day. Race proceeds are to go to Calder Valley Mountain rescue
- Minimum Age: 18
- Prize-giving: 2.30pm (or earlier if all runners are back)
- Food & Drink: Todmorden Scouts will be providing soup, bread and home-made cakes in the Cricket club from noon onwards – please support their fundraising for summer camp! Hot and cold drinks will be available from the Cricket club bar
- Safety and Kit requirements: Please note participation in this race will require full FRA mandatory kit requirements – namely waterproof, whole body cover (taped seams and attached hood), hat, gloves, map, compass, whistle and emergency food. The race covers areas of open, exposed moorland in mid-winter. Kit checks will be made; no kit no run! Thank you. Also please note the Out of Bounds area (quarry) between checkpoints 2 and 3 both for race day, and route reccies. This is a clay pigeon shooting range, so best to give a wide berth for your own safety – the best lines stay well clear of this area
- Course records: Male A. Worster (1:07:11) 2017, Female A. Mason (1:28:41) 2017
Junior Races to start from 10.30am.
The course will be well flagged and marshalled on the day and we aim to get a route map added to the website before race day and provided at race HQ on the day.
The route will be shorter than the 2017 route that proved a little too challenging for some! An inner loop of around 0.8km (approx 25m vertical climb) and an outer loop of around 1.6km (approx 65m vertical climb) will be run.
Races will set off at 5 min intervals (start/finish area same as for seniors, adjacent to the kids playground). Approximate start times and total race distance/climbs below:
- U19/U17s (start 10.30am) – 3 X outer loops (approx. 4.8km, 195m climb)
- U15s (start 10.35am) – 2 X outer loops (approx. 3.2km, 130m climb)
- U13s (start 10.40am) – 3 X inner loops (approx. 2.4km, 75m climb)
- U11s (start 10.45am) – 2 X inner loops (approx. 1.6km, 50m climb)
- U9s (start 10.50am) – 1 X inner loops (approx. 0.8km, 25m climb)
Juniors Course Map
Seniors Course Map
(see map below) Race HQ is Todmorden Cricket Club, Burnley Road, Todmorden OL14 7BS – next to Centre Vale Park. The Cricket Club Pavilion has a bar and a function room, though has limited changing facilities and toilets. The venue is within easy walking distance from the bus and train stations and all town centre amenities.
Parking is available at Todmorden Cricket Club, in the Council run car park opposite the Hare and Hounds pub, or the upper car park of Todmorden Sports Centre. Please car share wherever possible. There is no charge for parking at any of these locations.